Friday 18 July 2014

Barretso.

Here's an interview we've been waiting years to do!  Barretso, a Disco Unchained original favorite, has produced some of the craziest, most uplifting electro music I've ever come across. All of his earlier tracks come highly recommended from us, including but not limited to, "Chase", "We Won't Stop" and "Bright City Lights". 

We recently got in touch with Barretso and wanted to do a piece on him before he releases his newer stuff (Yes, there's a lot of new stuff in the pipeline). Barretso will also be doing an exclusive guest mix for us soon, so be sure to be on the look out for that (there'll be some surprises in that hopefully!)

Frankie AKA Barretso




Shazeb: How did Barretso start? Who is Barretso?

Frankie: I’m a songwriter/singer/audio engineer from Viña Del Mar, Chile. I’ve been making music under ‘Barretso’ since 2009, before that I used to play instruments in a variety of bands from metal to classical. 

Shazeb: Where would you say your strongest musical influences have come from?

Frankie: I grew up listening to a wide range of musical genres because of my dad. I guess that was when I developed a thing for music in general, when I was about 4-5 years old. The genre that instinctively attracted me the most, though, was the late 80s/early 90s pop. Listening to all those synthesised catchy little sounds was pretty amusing when I was a kid. I remember being in my room listening to ‘Mecano - La Fuerza Del Destino’ having the best time ever.

Shazeb: What's Barretso's all-time favorite dessert?

Frankie: Hmm, I’m not really a dessert guy but if I had to choose one I would choose a freshly traditionally made tiramisu.

Shazeb:  Where do you see Barretso 5 years from now?

Frankie: I don’t really know where I’ll be with Barretso in 5 more years. The last 5 years have been a journey full of surprises and unexpected paths both musically and personally. So, I wouldn’t know. Hopefully sane enough to keep making music haha.

Shazeb: What's your all time favorite synth-based track (This is hard, and we're known for asking this)

Frankie: Hard question. I’ve got heaps. I’ll just choose one off my favourites randomly. Deftones - Rocket Skates (M83 Remix)

Shazeb: Do you have any new EPs, albums, or singles in the pipeline?
Frankie: Yes, I have. I haven’t released originals in ages but that’s about to change. I’m planning on releasing new material next month. Excited!

Shazeb: We're big fans of your track "We won't stop". Tell us about that. How did Barretso come up with that track?

Frankie: Magic man, magic haha. Nah, If I remember well I was pretty heartbroken at the time I made that song. Making an uplifting synth pop song was the perfect way to counteract all of that.

 Shazeb: What's Barretso's all time favorite horror film?

Frankie: Gravity; that movie is horrible!

Shazeb: Haha! Yes, that movie is on Disco Unchained’s never watch-list! Alright, last thing, is there anything you'd like to shout out to your fans?

Frankie: Thank you for supporting me through all these years. I know I owe you big time, you all will be rewarded soon!




Here's some of Disco Unchained's all time favorite stuff by Barretso: 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment